Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona seeks a Research Assistant for the Molecular Modeling and Bioinformatics group.
An enthusiastic programmer to join our structural bioinformatics team (Structural Bioinformatics Program), under the framework of the “iDATA-MP”, co-funded by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III and the Fondo Europeo de Desarrollo Regional (FEDER), una manera de hacer Europa, in the call: Infraestructura de Medicina de precisión asociada a la ciencia y tecnología (IMPaCT). Referencia: IMP/00019
We are looking for a candidate to work on research software development, designing, developing and maintaining biomolecular simulation tools and workflows to make them available to the scientific community.
Our informatics team works building a bridge between researchers (biologists, chemists, physicists, mathematicians, etc.) and the computational science field, applying software best practices to the existing codes, making them more usable, reproducible and interoperable.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Bachelor degree or higher in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Biomedicine or similar.
- Programming Languages: Python, R
- Version-control systems: Git (GitHub, GitLab)
- Software packaging (Conda, Containers)
- Fluent English and good teamwork skills.
- Excellent Linux OS skills.
Knowledge of the following technologies is advisable
- Programming languages C,Fortran, Perl
- Read the Docs documentation process
- noSQL databases (MongoDB or similar)
- iPython interactive computing (Jupyter)
- Environment Modules (HPC)
Spack package manager
VM/container deployment in Cloud infrastructures
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of an established research group.
- The unique opportunity to work within an international consortium that brings together the most prominent European researchers in the field of computational biology.
- The unique opportunity to work closely with a High Performance Computing (HPC) centre as the Barcelona Supercomputing Centre (BSC), with one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe (Marenostrum IV), and recently selected by EuroHPC to host one of the largest European supercomputers (Marenostrum V).
- The possibility to work in multiple state-of-the-art platforms, such as Cloud infrastructures, Docker containers or HPC supercomputers.
- The unique opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary group which is currently involved in several National and European projects related to computational biology.
Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Deadline for applications: 06/10/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
Number of positions available: 1
Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.