IRB Barcelona is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to work on the project entitled “Hypermutated tumors: insight into genome maintenance and cancer vulnerabilities provided by an extreme burden of somatic mutations”, funded by the European Research Council (ERC).
We are looking for an experienced experimental biologist, who is enthusiastic about cutting edge, high-impact science, and who is communicative, organized and dilligent. The project may, optionally, involve a computational component. We are interested in exploring mechanisms of genomic instability in cancer cells via genome/transcriptome/epigenome editing using CRISPR/Cas9, AsCas12a or RfxCas13d systems.
A PhD in the life sciences is a prerequisite, preferably in a field related either with cancer, or with epigenomics, or with DNA damage/repair/genomic instability more generally; please see “EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS” section below.
The work will be performed in the Genome Data Science lab (https://agendas.irbbarcelona.org/), led by the ICREA Professor and EMBO Young Investigator Fran Supek, in collaboration with the diverse, international team in the lab, which consists of genomics biologists, wet-lab biologists and mathematicians at the PhD and postdoc level.
Start date is flexible; ideally June 2021.
Informal inquiries can be directed to the PI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Early applications are encouraged.
- Perform excellent research on own project according to the high standards of the Supek lab and the IRB Barcelona
- Co-supervise student(s) or junior postdocs in the wet-lab in their daily work on their projects
- Collaborate with other members of the host lab to facilitate progress on their project(s) by performing experiments to support their work
- Perform excellent, high-impact research on own project according to the high standards of the Supek lab and the IRB Barcelona
- Present at Genome Data Science lab meetings and journal clubs, and at department seminars
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Experience: A PhD in the life sciences. At least one first-author publication.
- Knowledge: good level of spoken English.
- Skills: mammalian cell culture. Cloning and genetic modification of mammalian cells.
- Experience: Some postdoctoral experience (1-4 years). Work on cancer-related, or DNA damage/repair/mutagenesis related projects.
- Knowledge: high level of spoken and written English. Good level of Spanish.
- Skills: flow cytometry, protein biochemistry, CRISPR/Cas9 or related genetic modification, qPCR, Chip-SEQ or related techniques.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 15/05/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: email@example.com You will receive a response within a month.'