Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 30 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a Lab Manager / Postdoctoral Fellow to work on the project entitled “Hypermutated tumors: insight into genome maintenance and cancer vulnerabilities provided by an extreme burden of somatic mutations”, funded by the European Research Council (ERC).
We are looking for an experienced experimental biologist, who enjoys being involved in exciting, cuttingedge science, and who is looking for opportunities for work on collaborative projects and for supervision of junior colleagues in the lab. This position is ideal for communicative, organized and dilligent researchers, who will be responsible for organizing the details of the wet-lab work in the Supek lab of the IRB Barcelona; please see “DUTIES” section below.
A PhD in the life sciences is a prerequisite, preferably in a field related either with cancer, or with DNA damage/repair more generally; please see “EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS” section below. The work will be performed in the Genome Data Science lab (https://agendas.irbbarcelona.org/) in collaboration with the diverse, international team in the lab, which consists of genomics biologists, wetlab biologists and mathematicians at the PhD and postdoc level. Start date is flexible; ideally February – March 2021. Informal inquiries can be directed to the PI at
Early applications are encouraged.
- Manage the purchasing and the inventory of the laboratory supplies necessary for the experimental work in the Supek lab
- Work with IRB administration to handle legal (MTAs, tenders) and the logistic issues (shipping, import) related with reagents above
- Co-supervise student(s) or junior postdocs in the wet-lab in their daily work on their projects
- Collaborate with other members of the host lab to facilitate progress on their project(s) by performing experiments to support their work
- Perform excellent research on own project according to the high standards of the Supek lab and the IRB Barcelona
- Present at Genome Data Science lab meetings and journal clubs, and at department seminar
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Experience: A PhD in the life sciences. At least one first-author publication
- Skills: Mammalian cell culture. Cloning. Genetic modification of mammalian cells.
- Languages: Good level of spoken & Written English
- Experience: Some postdoctoral experience (1-4 years). Work on cancer-related, or DNA damage/repair/mutagenesis related projects.
- Skills: flow cytometry, protein biochemistry, CRISPR/Cas9 or related genetic modification, qPCR.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Applications must include:
- Full C.V
- University grades certificate(s)
- Contact information of two referees
- Motivation Letter
- Deadline for applications: 31/12/2020 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: number
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org You will receive a response within a month.'