Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 30 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona seeks to recruit an experienced Scientific computing and genomics specialist.
The institute aims to attract a Lab Manager to work on managing bioinformatics pipelines and high-performance computing infrastructure. Their overall goal will to be organize the infrastructure that enables analyses of genomic massive data sets, thus fostering translational and basic research of genetic disease.
The role of the Scientific IT and Genomics Lab Manager will focus on the provision of state-of-the-art bioinformatics/genomics pipelines and high-performance computing services, in the collaborative setting of the IRB Barcelona.
In particular, this will involve being responsible for developing and maintaining the code of the genomics pipelines administering compute clusters (e.g. Linux system admin; SLURM workload manager admin); assisting the IRB IT service in management of disk storage systems; interfacing with the IRB IT service to expedite solutions for diverse IT-related issues; supervising and training IRB members in their use of the institute’s HPC resources and of supercomputers.
-Provision of broad, state-of-the-art high-performance computing and bioinformatics services to support excellent research at the IRB Barcelona.
-Developing and running genomics pipelines on own cluster or on supercomputers
-Maintaining compute clusters (Linux system administration and software installation; SLURM workload manager administration)
-Assisting IRB’s IT service in management of the NetApp and Synology storage systems and of Linux workstations
- Choosing and purchasing new computing equipment
-Interfacing with the IRB IT service to expedite finding solutions for IT-related issues in the group
- Supervising and training lab members in their use of IT resources, e.g. of MareNostrum/StarLife supercomputing, and of cloud computing services
- Collaborating on others’ research projects with groups at IRB and elsewhere
- Have presentations at group and/or department meetings
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Experience: Experience with and/or enthusiasm about genomics/bioinformatics tools. Some experience with and/or enthusiasm about administering Linux machines (preferably servers or compute clusters).
- Knowledge: BSc or MSc or PhD in field relevant to the duties described, such as (but not limited to): computer science or engineering, applied mathematics/statistics, computational biology.
- Skills: Ability to work independently, and interact well within an international team environment consisting of researchers of diverse career stages (PhD students, postdocs) and backgrounds (life scientists, computer scientists).
- Languages: A solid level of spoken English is required
- Experience: advanced-lever usage and administering the Slurm or SGE workload managers; some experience with supercomputers (e.g. MareNostrum) and/or cloud computing (e.g. AWS or Azure or similar)
- Knowledge: genomics/bioinformatics methods and software (aligners/mappers, mutation callers, structural variant callers). Some knowledge of deep learning algorithms would be a plus.
- Skills: supervision/training of junior colleagues. Ability to deal with exceptional situations on short notice.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 24/11/2020 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: number
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Applications for the above opening should include (i) a CV and track record (listing 2-4 achievements relevant to the call, for example: technical achievements, or software tools developed, or work on collaborative projects, or scientific publications; the text needs to briefly explain the candidate’s particular contribution to each listed achievement), (ii) motivation letter, and (iii) contact information of 2-3 potential referees
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org You will receive a response within a month.'