Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking an Executive Secretary integrated in a secretarial area working in a collaborative way with the programme secretaries, sharing working methodology and procedures. With the role to ensure a smooth, efficient, and effective departmental operation while supporting the Directorate team in all facets of planning, organization, coordination, and improvement.
The Executive secretary is often the first point of contact with the Directorate team, for both internal and outside enquiries. The role therefore requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an overview of the workings of the entire Institute. The Executive secretary is expected to handle sensitive and confidential information and demonstrate the highest levels of integrity and discretion. The Executive Secretary reports directly to the Directorate team and functional reports to the Head of People and Academic Affairs.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the Directorate, Boards, employees, and outside partners.
- With a wide spectrum of internal and external stakeholders, establish and sustain positive working relationships and interactions, even in potentially difficult circumstances.
- Support the Director of Technology Strategy and Core Facilities with technical tasks such as, designing strategic cooperation agreements, fundraising and networking.
- Assist with several transversal functions of the secretarial area to support the programme coordinators.
- Provides administrative support that respects confidentiality and ensures that administrative matters are organized and dealt with in a professional manner. These tasks include managing calendars and contacts, arranging meetings, receiving visitors, managing travel arrangements, scheduling and filtering phone calls, managing the Directorate budget, presentation materials, collection or analysis of data, and to prepare electronic files and demonstrate ability to proofread for spelling and grammar.
- Offer support in the logistics associated with a variety of institutional events and meetings, including the Board meetings and External Advisory Board meetings.
- Ensure proper organization of institutional and management filing systems (digital and hard copies).
- Make sure to provide a wide range of executive assistant support with the highest level of discretion while setting priorities and managing the workflow in an efficient, timely, and organized manner.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
Experience: At least 5 years’ experience as an Executive Secretary.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (particularly PowerPoint, Word and Excel), and collaborative editing tools (Google docs/ sheets/ slides).
- Familiarity with video conferencing solutions, such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams and Google Meet.
Language requirements: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, Spanish and Catalan.
Positive attitude, flexible, able to work in a team and a high ability to create and maintain good interpersonal relationships.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills: prioritization, time management, attention to detail with a high level of accuracy.
- Solution focus and proactivity: take ownership of assigned tasks, provide tailored solutions, resourceful in info gathering/research.
- Able to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion when handling confidential information.
Experience: Relevant executive-level administrative or similar experience in a large organisation, preferably in a scientific and international/multicultural environment.
Knowledge: Event and logistics experience. Ability to speak other languages. Basic knowledge of public relations and protocol.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
Working conditions: Permanent Contract. Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of our administration team.
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Deadline for applications: 30/09/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
Number of positions available: 1
Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter and experience.
Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.