Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking an enthusiastic Senior HPC Engineer to join its Information Technology Services Department, providing technical support to computational and research data management tasks performed by IRB Barcelona researchers.
The Information Technology Services (ITS) Department provides IT services to the whole organisation and develops digital transformation projects with the aim to facilitate the operations of the organisation and the accomplishment of the goals of its research community. To fulfil this mission, the ITS Department offers a broad spectrum of IT services, solutions and support, particularly Scientific computing (IA & ML/DL) services.
- Drive the creation, architecture and implementation and support of the computational (HPC/HTC) roadmap for our Scientific computing landscape
- Drive value using agile IT life cycle management from product prototyping to development, deployment, and optimization. Throughout this life cycle, we would expect you to be able to make and own decisions. There will also be a need for code development, whereby you will need to identify and troubleshoot issues as we deploy to clusters.
- You will have accountability and responsibility for the development of patterns and practices for computational pipelines across a broad variety of technologies with deployment targets including hybrid environments (on prem & on cloud)
- You will make decisions regarding product infrastructure architecture along with optimizing our computational processes to maximize throughput.
- Inform and influence relevant stakeholders to deliver and support successful computational environments.
- We would expect you to have the desire and drive to learn, bring new thinking, ideas and continuous improvement to the team.
- A key focus will be sharing knowledge through lessons learnt and keeping up to date with industry trends and emerging technologies.
- As a senior/principal engineer, we would want to see your leadership qualities, through task management, mentoring and potentially line management.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
- A team player, goal focused and adopt a customer-centric philosophy
- HPC workload managers Knowledge (Slurm, SGE, Etc..)
- Expert level knowledge of Linux operating systems
- Programming/scripting languages like shell , Python, perl, etc
- Enjoy hands-on troubleshooting in a distributed Linux environment and are comfortable tracing problems through applications and networks
- Experience in automating deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications
- Experience with alerting,monitoring and dashboarding solutions like Grafana, Prometheus, icinga, influxDB, kibana/elasticsearch
- Experience with Infrastructure as a code (Ansible, Ansible Tower/AWX, Terraform, etc..)
- Experience with Networked Storage technologies like NAS, SMB/CIFS, GPFS, BeeGFS
- NoSQL database administration (MongoDB, Cassandra or similar) and BigData technologies such as Hadoop
- Deploy managers like Foreman or xCAT
- ML/AI libraries like Tensorflow, Pytorch or Keras
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
Working conditions: Permanent Contract. Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of our administration team.
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Deadline for applications: 15/12/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
Number of positions available: 1
Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.