Technology Transfer Officer (ref. AD/23/08)
Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
Under the INVESTIGO Programme, IRB Barcelona is seeking a Technology Transfer Officer to support the Innovation Department. The selected candidate will be trained to assist the institute's scientific community in processes related to identification, protection and exploitation of research results.
The Technology Transfer Officer will collaborate with the Innovation team in tasks such as the preparation and processing of documentation, communication with research staff and other related issues; and will undergo continuous and supervised training that will allow them to expand their perspectives.
- Support the identification, evaluation and protection of research results developed at IRB Barcelona.
- Contribute to the raising and project management of proof-of-concept funding.
- Support the commercialisation of research results and the drafting and negotiation of technology transfer agreements.
- Liaise with external suppliers regarding technology transfer activities.
The INVESTIGO Programme requires candidates to meet the following conditions:
- Before starting the labour relation with the Institute, the candidate must be registered as a job seeker in the “Servei Públic d'Ocupació de Catalunya” and has to be unemployed.
- No previous labour relationships with IRB Barcelona in the a period of 6 months before the start of the employment contract.
- Only applicable for candidates who are under 30 years old (before the start of the employment contract).
- Specific studies related to the field that provide the competencies and skills required for the position. Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree. Candidates holding a MSc. or a PhD. are also eligible and welcome to apply.
- Availability to join the IRB Barcelona by the 1st of September 2023.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Experience: 1 year’s experience in negotiation of technology transfer agreements, advising on IP, and liaising with external providers.
- Knowledge: Degree in Law, Biology, Chemistry or equivalent. Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Skills: Willingness to work as part of the Innovation team. Excellent communication skills and readiness to work to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Two year contract linked to the INVESTIGO Programme, which allocates young people in search of work in research, under the framework project “Pla de Recuperació, Transformació i Resiliència”. Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work.
- Estimated annual gross salary: 24.875€. Salary might be negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution.
- Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Applications for the above opening should include a Full CV, in the Anonymous Curriculum Vitae format where name, age, gender and any other personal reference, are not included.
- Deadline for applications: 26/06/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, experience and fulfilment of the selection criteria stipulated by the INVESTIGO Programme.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
- D) ADMINISTRATION
Technology Transfer Officer (ref. AD/23/08)
Loading application form