Research Assistant (ref. LAB/23/19)
Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and 8 core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 45 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a motivated and experienced Research Assistant for the Comparative Genomics Group of the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona). The successful candidate will work on the project funded by La Caixa with reference number LCF/PR/HR21/52410006.
- We are looking for a candidate to work on the experimental laboratory of the group, using several techniques, including yeast cell culturing, in vitro evolution experiments, nucleic acids extraction, genomics library preparation, microbiome analysis, and other standard microbiology and molecular biology techniques.
- The candidate will work on a project involving the study of host pathogen interactions, through in vitro evolution, single-cell sequencing, genetic editing and phenotyping.
- The candidate will interact with core facilities at the IRB and services elsewhere, as well as with other members of the group (collaborating in joint projects and supervising students).
- The candidate will keep high quality standards of research, coordinating his/her experimental work with other members of the lab and the PI, and writing, updating and executing procedures and protocols for experimental research.
- The candidate will participate in writing scientific articles.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Experience: Bachelor degree, or Master in a related field. We are looking for a research assistant with at least 1 year of working experience with similar duties.
- Knowledge: Extensive knowledge of basic microbiology and molecular biology techniques. Knowledge of next generation sequencing technologies.
- Skills: The candidate should have high organization capacity, good interpersonal skills, ability to train and supervise other, more junior members in the lab.
- Languages: Good written and spoken English.
Experience: Experience working with fungal yeast pathogens would be a plus.
- Skills: Managerial and organizational skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of an established research group.
- Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 31/05/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
- A) RESEARCH LABORATORIES
Research Assistant (ref. LAB/23/19)
Loading application form