Laboratory Technician (ref. LAB/23/12)
Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a Lab Technician to join the Signalling and Cell Cycle Laboratory led by Dr. Angel R. Nebreda. The laboratory investigates molecular mechanisms of tumorigenesis and chemotherapy resistance using a combination of mouse models, cell cultures and biochemical approaches.
The candidate will work in collaboration with several researchers of the group to design and perform experiments with mice, mostly related to tumor development and chemotherapy treatments, and will also perform genotyping. This position will cover a maternity leave and the estimated length of the contract will be initially 5 months.
- Perform experiments with mice, including implantation of cancer cells, administration of chemical compounds, analysis of tumor growth, dissection of tissues and tumors, necropsies. Genotype and manage genetically modified mouse colonies.
- Contribute to other experiments using molecular and cellular biology techniques.
- Participate in maintenance and general organization of the laboratory, preparation of stock solutions, etc.
- Prepare written reports and presentations with the experimental results
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- “Ciclo formativo de Grado Superior” or equivalent.
- Licence to work with experimental animals in Spain.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working with mouse models.
- Ability to work independently in a demanding research environment.
- Excellent organisational and communication skills, and ability to communicate in English.
- Degree in biological sciences or a related field.
- Experience working with mouse models of cancer.
- Experience processing samples for immunohistochemistry as well as performing PCR, western blotting and cell culture.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work.
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of an established research group.
- Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 07/04/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
- A) RESEARCH LABORATORIES
Laboratory Technician (ref. LAB/23/12)
Loading application form