Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking an IT Support Specialist to work at the Information Technology and Services Department at the IRB Barcelona. The position will involve, amongst other things, to serve as the first point of contact for users seeking technical assistance over the phone or by our ticketing system. As well as, performing remote troubleshooting through diagnostic techniques and pertinent questions, and determining the best solution based on the issue and details provided by the users.
- To serve as the first point of contact for customers seeking technical assistance over the phone or email
- To provide helpdesk support to IRB Barcelona Users. Because of the nature of our institution, users may be top scientists, as well as, administration personnel, with different profiles and knowledge of the different computer systems and tools
- To follow all internal procedures: in order to provide an excellent service to our users, it is asked to follow all internal procedures, using IRB’s “IT service management Tools” and carefully documenting all changes made to the computer's systems
- Walk the customer through the problem-solving process
- Identify and suggest possible improvements on procedures
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Proven experience as an IT Support Specialist or other customer support role.
- Certificate of Higher Education or BSc in IT, Computer Science or relevant field.
Microsoft Desktop operating systems administration knowledge is needed (Windows 7/10). TCP/IP, Microsoft Active Directory, Printing systems and Office knowledge is a must.
- Linux: candidate will manage highly powerful Linux workstations so a high level in Linux is needed.
- Apple: Candidate will manage Apple workstations and laptops so wide experience supporting Apple Macintosh is needed.
- Good level of Catalan, Spanish and English.
Skills: An enthusiastic person about working with different systems on a cutting-edge scientific institution. They should be able to work with a myriad of very different kind of user profiles (top scientists with Linux powerful workstations and very specific scientific software, as well as administration personnel with Windows and Office standard tools), so candidates must be very versatile. Candidates must have a collaborative team spirit, good communication skills and good troubleshooting skills. A clear orientation to the internal customer is necessary.
Knowledge: SCCM and Apple Enterprise deployment tools.
Skills: It would be helpful but not necessary to have experience working previously in a scientific environment.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
Working conditions: Permanent contract. Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. This job position is following the ordinary and additional rate of Law 20/2021, of 28 December, measures urgent for the reduction of temporary employment in the public sector and approved by the IRB Barcelona Board of Trustees
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of our administration team.
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Deadline for applications: 31/01/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
Number of positions available: 1
Selection process will be based on merits
Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.