Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona seeks to recruit a Laboratory Technician to join the labs of Dr Antonio Zorzano and Dr Manuel Palacin at the IRB Barcelona (https://www.irbbarcelona.org/es/research/complex-metabolic-diseases-and-mitochondria; https://www.irbbarcelona.org/es/research/amino-acid-transporters-and-disease
We are searching for a highly motivated Laboratory Technician to work on a variety of projects analysing metabolism, and structure of proteins with the aim of understanding the control of energy homeostasis in mammals, and the molecular basis of disease.
The ideal candidate should have previous experience in the relevant techniques mentioned below. She/he should have strong analytical skills, in addition to creativity, curiosity, enthusiasm, and ability to work in a team. The candidate will participate and perform the activities, and tasks operating in our laboratory.
The CMDM and AATD Labs (Complex Metabolic Diseases and Mitochondria, and Amino Acid Transporters and Disease) are strong interdisciplinary and international research teams with unique expertise in the molecular basis of human disease.
The successful candidate will
- Implementing established protocols and developing new protocols
- Producing high quality data to be included in research papers for publication
- Perform protein, RNA and DNA routine techniques
- Perform/support cell culture and cytometer analysis
- Purchases and location of reagents
- Buffers preparation: Western and Transfer buffers; PBS, Hepes, TBS, TAE
- Lab organizer: distribute spaces and users (fridges, freezers, ultrafreezers, N2); store chemicals by their SDS.
- Equipment inventory and preventive maintenance. Pipette calibration.
- Mouse colonies genotyping: DNA extraction, PCR and agarose gel analysis; fill colony database to report and keep historic; primer design and DNA sequencing
- Basic Microbiology Technics: preparation of mediums LB, SOB, TB; agar plates; competent cells (heat-shock, electrocompetent); Plasmidic DNA mini and maxipreps.
- PCR test of mycoplasma from cell cultures.
- Antibody purification by chromatography
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Degree in Biology
- Experience in biochemistry and cell biology techniques
- Enthusiasm and self-motivated individual with the ability to work independently or with minimal supervision.
- Ability to learn tasks quickly
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
Working conditions: Permanent contract. Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.This Job position is following the stabilization rate of Law 20/2021, of December 28, measures urgent for the reduction of temporary employment in the public sector and approved by the IRB Barcelona Board of Trustees.
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
International environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of an established research group.
Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Deadline for applications: 19/01/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
Number of positions available: 1
Selection process will be merit based:
Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.