Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking an enthusiastic Head of Information Technology Services responsible for providing IT services to the whole organisation. The ITS Department designs, manages and monitors the ITS infrastructure and applications for the scientific groups, core facilities and administrative departments at the institute.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, develop, and implement an IT strategy that is aligned with the objectives of IRB Barcelona. Stay abreast of emerging trends in order to provide technical and policy advice, and establish priorities and strategic requirements in consultation with senior leadership.
- Plan, organise, implement, manage, and oversee the delivery of IT services to IRB Barcelona, ensuring that the output of the department meets high quality standards.
- Lead, inspire and support the team of IT experts.
- Conduct IT projects in accordance with project management best practices.
- Serve on various committees where ITS expertise is required within IRB Barcelona.
- Prepare the ITS budgets and reports, manage the acquisition of IT goods and services through public tenders and coordinate them. Ensure the correct inventory control and management of IT resources.
- Develop and implement standards and policies for the effective and secure use of IT and information
- Oversee the delivery of high standard helpdesk services in compliance with SLAs.
- Develop and strengthen collaboration with ITS Units of other institutes within the sector (BIST, BSC, Universities, CERCA institutes…).
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
Experience: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation, and maintenance of IT solutions.
- Knowledge of systems analysis, design, and development, management, implementation and maintenance of systems. Capacity to understand information systems and business operational issues.
- Knowledge of an organisation's infrastructure and IT strategy as it relates to user areas, including, project implementations covering ERP/CRM solutions and cybersecurity, among others.
- Experience managing medium size heterogeneous engineering teams.
- Ability to develop clear and consistent goals aligned with strategies; capacity to delegate the appropriate responsibility, and provide accountability, and decision-making authority.
- Experience in negotiating and liaising with contractors and authorities.
Education and Languages
- Advanced University degree (Master's degree) in computer science, telecommunications engineering, or related areas.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of Spanish is required.
- Experience in Scientific IT, including extensive knowledge of advanced High-Performance Computing (HPC), and storage and network services.
- Experience in SAP Business One and Salesforce implementation.
- Experience at international level.
- Managerial experience in a research-oriented institution.
- Experience in public tender processes.
- Management/Business administration.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Permanent Contract. Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of our administration team.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 28/02/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Selection process:
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
For more information, please visit our website at: www.irbbarcelona.org
Please check our Recruitment Policy.