Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking an enthusiastic Scientific HPC Manager with experience in the design, implementation and maintenance of HPCinfrastructure and the management of a support team in a scientific research environment.
The Scientific HPC team provides a broad spectrum of IT services, solutions, and support in HPC infrastructure for the research groups and core facilities at IRB Barcelona, which critically depend on state-of-the-art advanced technical computational resources.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and implement the Scientific HPC model (HPC, network and storage) aligned with user needs in an economically sustainable and efficient manner.
- Evaluate new technologies and solutions that can be later included in the catalogue of services offered to research groups.
- Translate scientific requirements for data acquisition and analysis into technical specifications.
- Lead, inspire, and support the Scientific HPC team.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Experience: 5 years of experience in managing HPC infrastructure and services.
- Bachelor or higher degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications Engineering, or similar
- HPC cluster administration, including CPUs and GPUs
- Common server hardware architectures, including servers (CPU, bus, memory), SANS, disk arrays, and network hardware.
- HPC queue systems (e.g., SGE, Slurm)
- Containers and orchestration in HPC applications (e.g., Docker, Singularity, Kubernetes…)
- Storage systems, including traditional ones (NetApp FAS), as well as SDS (e.g., Ceph and BeeGFS)
- Backup and archiving systems coordinating storage and tape libraries (e.g., Tivoli storage manager)
- Virtualization strategies and platforms (e.g., VMware)
- Public or private Cloud infrastructure (e.g., OpenNebula, Openstack, AWS, Azure…)
- HPC monitoring systems (e.g., Grafana, Prometheus, ElasticSearch…)
- Team collaboration tools (e.g., Git, JIRA, Confluence…)
- Strong leadership capacity, and a service-oriented mindset
- Excellent communications skills in English and Spanish
- Strong organizational, planning and multitasking capacity
The following experience and skills will be an asset:
- Previous experience in scientific environments
- AI-ML libraries and specific hardware (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- Web server administration (e.g., Apache, NGINX…)
- NoSQL database administration (e.g., MongoDB, Cassandra or similar)
- MPI, CUDA, and OpenMP
- Big Data technologies such as Hadoop or Spark
- Background in scientific computing / understanding of key challenges in computational biology
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Permanent Contract. Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of our of our Scientific HPC team.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 22/01/2023 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Selection process:
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
For more information, please visit our website at: www.irbbarcelona.org
Please check our Recruitment Policy.