Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona seeks a motivated Research Software Engineer for the Molecular Modeling and Bioinformatic Group of the Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona), under the framework of the project PerMedCoE (HPC/Exascale Centre of Excellence in Personalised Medicine) — H2020-INFRAEDI-2018-2020 / H2020-INFRAEDI-2019-1.
We are looking for a candidate to work on research software development, designing and developing machine learning (ML) methods to be applied on personalized medicine.
Our informatics team works building a bridge between researchers (biologists, chemists, physicists, mathematicians, etc.) and the computational science field, applying software best practices to the existing codes, making them more usable, reproducible and interoperable.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
Computer Science/Engineering BsC or MsC (or similar)
Excellent Python programming skills
Experience in ML methods and libraries (PyTorch, TensorFlow, SciPy, Scikit-Learn)
Experience in data manipulation, analysis and plotting libraries (Matplot, Plotly, Pandas)
- Fluent English and good teamwork skills.
- Excellent Linux OS skills.
- Experience in Deep Learning and Neural Networks methods
- Experience in Version Control (Git)
- Experience in International teams.
- Experience in Bioinformatics Software development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- The unique opportunity to work closely with a High Performance Computing (HPC) centre as the Barcelona Supercomputing Centre (BSC), with one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe (Marenostrum IV), and recently selected by EuroHPC to host one of the largest European supercomputers (Marenostrum V).
- The possibility to work in multiple state-of-the-art platforms, such as Cloud infrastructures, Docker containers or HPC supercomputers.
- The unique opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary group which is currently involved in several National and European projects related to computational biology
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
International environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of an established research group.
Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Deadline for applications: 28/11/2022 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
Number of positions available: 1
Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
For more information please visit our website at: www.irbbarcelona.org
Please check our Recruitment Policy.