IRB Barcelona is a world-class research centre devoted to understanding fundamental questions about human health and disease. It was founded in October 2005 by the Government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya) and the University of Barcelona (UB), and is located at the Barcelona Science Park (Parc Científic de Barcelona).
The Institute’s missions include conducting multidisciplinary research of excellence at the unique interface between biology, chemistry and medicine, providing high-level training in the biomedical sciences to staff, students and visitors, driving innovation through active technology transfer to the benefit of society, and actively participating in an open dialogue with the public through a series of engagement and education activities.
IRB Barcelona seeks an enthusiastic programmer to join Dr. Modesto Orozco and the bioinformatics team in the Molecular Modeling and Bioinformatics group (Structural Bioinformatics Program), under the framework of the Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute (INB) and the the European project “BioExcel-3 Centre of Excellence for Computational Bimolecular Research”.
This position will be founded by the “Project PCI2022-134976-2”, cofounded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation, the Spanish Research State Agency, and the European Union “NextGenerationEU”/PRTR”.
We are looking for a candidate to work on research software development, designing, developing and maintaining biomolecular simulation tools and workflows to make them available to the scientific community, from the server to the client side (full stack).
Our informatics team works building a bridge between researchers (biologists, chemists, physicists, mathematicians, etc.) and the computational science field, applying software best practices to the existing codes, making them more usable, reproducible and interoperable.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
Computer Science BSc (or similar)
Experience in Front-end languages (CSS, JS)
Experience in Backend technologies (NodeJS, ExpressJS)
Experience in Database Management Systems (MongoDB)
Experience in Version Control (Git)
- Knowledge of Software packaging (Conda, Containers)
- Fluent English and good teamwork skills.
- Excellent Linux OS skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in international teams.
- Experience in Bioinformatics Software development
- Experience in iPython interactive computing (Jupyter)
- Experience in Environment Modules (HPC)
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
International environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of an established research group.
Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities.
- The unique opportunity to work within an international consortium that brings together the most prominent European researchers in the field of computational biology.
- The unique opportunity to work closely with a High Performance Computing (HPC) centre as the Barcelona Supercomputing Centre (BSC), with one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe (Marenostrum IV), and recently selected by EuroHPC to host one of the largest European supercomputers (Marenostrum V).
- The possibility to work in multiple state-of-the-art platforms, such as Cloud infrastructures, Docker containers or HPC supercomputers.
- The unique opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary group which is currently involved in several National and European projects related to computational biology.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Deadline for applications: 16/12/2022 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
Number of positions available: 1
Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
For more information please visit our website at: www.irbbarcelona.org
Please check our Recruitment Policy.