Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 28 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a Director of Technology Strategy and Core Facilities. Reporting to the Director, the mission of the role will be provide strategy to guarantee access to state of the art technology and services to advance IRB research in rapid turn-around time, while operating in a cost-effective manner.
- Responsible for the global technology portfolio at IRB Barcelona, including core facilities and scientific services managed at IRB and those implemented through collaborations.
- Leadership of the core facilities team (35 members).
- Implement and develop new technologies and opportunities.
- Foster international and national collaborations in technology networks, aligned to IRB Barcelona strategy.
- Draw up institutional agreements linked to access to technology, both at the Barcelona, national and international level.
- Position IRB core facilities as an European leader, enhancing European visibility.
- Drive and participate in key scientific institutional projects.
- Shape and implement strategic initiatives of the institute.
- Raise funds at an international and national level targeted to technology improvement.
- Promote a facilities management model economically sustainable.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required
- At least 3 years of experience in a similar leadership position
- Proven 5-year experience and/or qualifications in scientific management either in public or private institutions.
- Financial management skills
- PhD in Biomedicine
- Proven knowledge on scientific technology Skills
- Track record of top-level leadership and negotiation skills within scientific community
- Ability to manage budgets
- Excellent command of English & Spanish
- Ability to negotiate and reach agreements
- Strategic vision
- Team management and collaborators development
- Organization and planning skills
- Previous experience in managing facilities in international environments
- Previous experience in a public research centre
- MSc or Postgraduate qualifications in management
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a permanent full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work.
Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution.
Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Number of positions available: 1
Deadline for applications: 31/08/2022 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter & experience.
Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org'