IRB Barcelona is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow / Bioinformatician to work on an upcoming project dealing with cancer genomic and transcriptomic statistical analysis to predict response to immunotherapy, using data from human studies and from mouse models of lung cancer and lymphoma.
We are looking for an experienced computational biologist, who enjoys working on exciting, cutting-edge science that can improve cancer patients’ lives.
We would like to recruit a postdoctoral fellow / research assistant who is curiosity-driven, looking to gain knowledge in the disciplines of genomics/bioinformatics and machine learning, and applying this to biomedical data to learn about cancer evolution and treatment resistance mechanisms.
The work will be performed in the Genome Data Science lab ( https://www.genomedatalab.org/ ), led by ICREA Research Professor and EMBO Young Investigator Fran Supek, in collaboration with the diverse, international team in the lab, which consists of genomics biologists, wet-lab biologists and mathematicians.
Start date is flexible; October 2022 – April 2023.
Informal inquiries can be directed to the PI at email@example.com.
Early applications are encouraged.
Relevant publications of the group:
Lindeboom, Vermeulen, Lehner and Supek (2019) Nature Genetics “The impact of nonsense-mediated mRNA decay on genetic disease, gene editing and cancer immunotherapy”
Supek, Lehner and Lindeboom (2021) Trends in Genetics “To NMD or Not To NMD: Nonsense-Mediated mRNA Decay in Cancer and Other Genetic Diseases”
- Develop and maintain bioinformatics pipelines to process mouse genomics and human genomics and transcriptomics data generated in the project
- Organize and maintain local repositories of genomic and transcriptomic data for the project
- Perform excellent research according to the high standards of the Supek lab and the IRB Barcelona
- Publish results in top-tier computational biology and/or genetics journals
- Present at weekly lab meetings and journal clubs, at department seminars, and at conferences
- Engage in teamwork with other members of the host lab to facilitate progress on the project
- Participate in the project activities joint with the other: meetings, presentations, visits to other labs, collaboration, exchange of data sets, preparing project reports/deliverables
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required
- Experience: PhD in the natural sciences or mathematics or engineering. Some experience with bioinformatics tools for either genomic or transcriptomic data analysis.
- Skills: highly motivated, with enthusiasm to work on challenging topics in genomics. Intermediate-to-advanced knowledge of one or more programming languages.
- Experience: Experience with either human population genomics, or inherited disease genomics, or cancer genomics. Similarly for transcriptomics. Experience with developing statistical methodologies for genomic analysis.
- Skills: independent, self-learning, goal-oriented. Solid level of spoken English.
- Track record: one or more first-author publications in reputable journals.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 31/08/2022
- Number of positions available: 1
- Selection process:
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org You will receive a response within a month.'