Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 30 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona seeks a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow to join as soon as possible the Stem Cell and Cancer group (Dr. Salvador Aznar Benitah). The project will involve studying how metabolic alterations affect tumor immunity. This project is financed PLEC2021-007654 / MCIN/AEI / 10.13039/501100011033 and by the European Commission “NextGenerationEU”/PRTR”.
The Stem Cell and Cancer group aims at understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying the spatiotemporal regulation of adult stem cells in the healthy tissue, and how these are deregulated during ageing and cancer. We have a particular interest in understanding how tissues communicate during homeostasis and how cancer cells systemically alter distant tissue function to their own advantage. To do so, we combine high-throughput bulk, single cell, and spatial genomics and proteomic data with in vivo models. The successful candidate will be involved in the analysis of the data from different projects, but very importantly in contributing to the conceptual development of the project.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
- The candidate should have extensive experience with in vivo mouse models and immunology.
- Knowledge in ChIP-sequencing analysis, gene expression analysis (RNA-seq, single cell RNA-seq, and optimally in spatial RNA-seq). Knowledge on metabolism is also desirable.
- Skills: Fluent in English. Highly independent, motivated, ambitious, and collaborative person. Good organizational and communication skills.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 01/12/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: email@example.com'