Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 30 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona seeks a motivated Predoctoral Researcher (FPI fellowship) for the Translational Control of Cell Cycle and Differentiation Laboratory led by Prof. Raúl Méndez, in the field of post-transcriptional regulation of gene expression in cell cycle and cancer.
The primary interest of our group has been to understand the molecular mechanisms that dictate alternative 3’ UTR formation and the temporal and spatial translational control of specific mRNAs during cell cycle progression and chromosome segregation, senescence and related pathologies. Cell cycle progression is programmed, at least in part, by stored silent mRNAs. These mRNAs are not translated en masse at any one time, or even at any one place; rather, their translation is specifically regulated by sequences located at their 3´-untranslated regions (3´-UTRs) and their binding proteins. More info at: https://www.irbbarcelona.org/es/research/translational-control-of-cell-cycle-and-differentiation
The successful candidate will be granted a FPI fellowship. She/he is expected to have good university grades in biomedical related fields. Experience in cell biology, biochemistry or mouse models of disease (through master research projects or equivalent) would be greatly valued. Enthusiasm for research, commitment and independence would be an asset.
For more info about the call (Please confirm your eligibility for this call before applying):
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Training is a way of life at IRB Barcelona. PhDs have access to a wide variety of scientific activities and services and an extensive network of academic and industrial contacts, which serve to strengthen the perspectives of their research career. Furthermore, they can benefit from our Language Training Programme. PhD students receive close mentoring and work on a research project that is chosen in mutual agreement with their group leader.
- International environment: Nearly 100 students (almost half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working toward their PhD theses at IRB Barcelona.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Applications for the above opening should include a Full CV and Motivation letter
- Deadline for applications: 30/10/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, recommendation letters
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.'