Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking an entry-level Bioinformatician to join the newly established Quantitative Stem Cell Dynamics lab. The lab focuses on developing cutting edge biotechnology to study stem cells in regeneration, aging and cancer.
We are currently launching multiple exciting projects involving lineage tracing and CRISPR-based perturbation of blood and immune cells, and we use single-cell sequencing technologies as our most important readout.
In brief, the position involves preparing and submitting samples for single-cell sequencing, managing storage and upload of sequencing data, writing and curating computer scripts, performing bioinformatics and statistical data analysis, and cooperating with various other researchers in project design, project execution, and production of figures and manuscripts.
The perfect candidate will have a dynamic and flexible personality, capacity to collaborate with multiple other researchers in the group (a good knowledge of English is absolutely required), and ability to multitask across various projects and duties.
- Writing, updating and maintaining lab scripts
- Managing and storing lab sequencing data
- Running single-cell and bulk-level sequencing data analysis
- Creating figures and helping in preparation of manuscripts
- Participate in lab meetings and group activities
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Motivation to work in an international environment within a cutting-edge research project
- Knowledge: Computational biology, Programming, Biostatistics.
- Skills: Bash scripting, R/Python programming, Data management, Statistical analysis.
- Experience: Single-cell sequence data analysis, bulk DNA/RNA sequence analysis
- Languages: Fluency in English (at least scientific, programming level) is essential
- Knowledge: Stem-cell biology, Immunology, Developmental biology, Mathematical modelling.
- Experience: International experience in computational biology groups.
- Skills: Manuscript figure preparation, manuscript writing, Java and Web-tools.
- Languages: Full fluency in English would be optimal.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of the Quantitative Stem Cell Dynamics Lab.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 30/09/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org '