Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 30 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a senior Research Associate to join the newly established Quantitative Stem Cell Dynamics lab. The lab focuses on developing cutting edge biotechnology to study blood stem cells in regeneration, aging and cancer.
We are currently launching multiple exciting projects involving lineage tracing and CRISPR-based perturbation of blood stem cells and immune cells, and we use single-cell sequencing technologies as our most important readout.
As a senior position, the research associate will lead various projects and co-mentor other early-career researchers. This involves participating in all stages of project design, project execution, and production of figures and manuscripts.
The position requires at least 2 years of postdoctoral experience, preferably in an international setting. Knowledge of the state-of-the-art in developmental biology, hematopoiesis and stem cell biology will be highly valued.
The perfect candidate will also have a dynamic and flexible personality, capacity (and, ideally, experience) to lead and mentor junior researchers in the group (a good knowledge of English is absolutely required), and ability to multitask across various projects and duties.
- Lead a single-cell technology project in the lab, with the assistance of a research technician
- Co-lead other projects in collaboration with PhD students and Postdocs
- Engage in teaching and training undergrad and graduate students
- Participate and present in group meetings and scientific discussions
- Write manuscripts together with other researchers
- Engage in career development activities, outreach and soft-skill training
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Motivation to work in an international environment within a cutting-edge research project
- Knowledge: Developmental biology, immunology, hematopoiesis
- Skills: Molecular cloning, injections, transfection, lentiviral preparation, imaging, library preparation.
- Degrees: PhD in a relevant life-sciences field
- Experience: >2 years as postdoctoral researcher
- Languages: Fluency in English (at least scientific level) is essential
- Knowledge: Embryonic stem cells, induced pluripotent stem cells, 3D-culture
- Experience: International experience
- Skills: Data analysis, figure preparation, manuscript writing, web-tools.
- Languages: Full fluency in English (beyond just scientific English)
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 30/09/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: email@example.com You will receive a response within a month.'