Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a Section Head for the International Strategic Support Office (ISS), which forms part of the Competitive Funding and International Promotion Department and reports directly to the Head of this department.
The successful candidate will lead a dynamic team of international project managers. The ISS is responsible for increasing funding from international coordinated and collaborative projects (mainly from EU funding schemes, Horizon Europe). To this end, ISS personnel help the research faculty at IRB Barcelona to identify funding opportunities, prepare the most suitable consortia, and write project proposals. ISS personnel are in charge of managing funded projects.
The Section Head will have a broad range of responsibilities concerning IRB Barcelona’s external research funding, relations with funding bodies, and collaboration with the Section of International Strategic Support and the Post-Award Office. The position also shares the management responsibility for the career development and mentoring of team members.
The Section Head of ISS will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the smooth running of the office, implementing the actions foreseen in the International Strategic Plan, and coordinating the team of international project managers (currently two).
- Providing IRB Barcelona researchers support with the preparation and writing of international collaborative proposals, mainly within the Horizon Europe work programmes (strategic advice, partner search and proposal writing, among others). The section Head, together with the team of project managers, will identify the calls and topics of interest for the IRB Barcelona community and will assign the preparation of the proposal in function of their expertise.
- Working on the preparation of proposals within the Horizon Europe research infrastructures work programme. The successful candidate will attend Info days, partnering and matchmaking events, and information sessions, among others.
- Fostering new institutional collaborations with international centres and consolidating existing ones through the drawing up and implementation of strategic agreements.
- Implementing the ENABLECARES project. In particular, the successful candidate will liaise with the project partners and the EU, as well as with the multidisciplinary team responsible for the implementation of IRB Barcelona’s Open Science policy.
- Liaising with other departments and sections at IRB Barcelona, such as the Pre- and Post-Award Offices, the Academic Office, and the Fundraising, Communication and Marketing Department. Specific collaboration with the Innovation Department is expected in order to support proposals within the European Innovation Council (Horizon Europe).
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required
- PhD in Biotechnology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field
- Knowledge of the research topics addressed by the computational biology groups at IRB Barcelona
- Experience in the management of EU H2020 coordinated projects
- Experience in EU funding sources, in particular, H2020 Research Infrastructures or similar calls
- Excellent command of written and spoken English. Very good level of Catalan and Spanish.
- Outstanding writing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- High initiative and capacity to work independently. Strong organisational, planning and multi-tasking capacities, teamwork, ability to work to strict deadlines with minimum supervision, ability to identify and resolve problems, ability to liaise with other departments.
- Knowledge of Open Science and research data management
- Advanced user of the Microsoft Office package (especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary environment
- Experience in European Innovation Council (Horizon Europe) calls
- Use of collaborative project management software
- Use of web management content software and monitoring of web analytics
- Management of social media
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Contract duration: Permanent Contract. Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of our administration team.
- Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique career opportunities.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 30/06/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: email@example.com