Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a motivated Research Officer with proven skills in embryo manipulation and production of genetically engineered rodent to cover the position in the Mouse Mutant Core Facility.
The position will involve the generation and archiving of genetically modified rodents to be used in the study of disease and development. The facility uses a combination of established and cutting edge techniques.
We are a small team, and the position is an opportunity to learn all aspects of generation of GM mouse models, from design to analysis. We are also active in implementing and researching novel technologies.
Ideally, we are looking for an experienced micro-injectionist, but will consider applications from candidates that have other relevant animal experience and are keen to learn the required skills. The ideal candidate should be able to work both independently and within a team, be able to interact with other researchers, at all levels and an ability to multitask. Because the Facility works with embryonic stem cells, occasional weekend work will be required.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Experience: Experience working with laboratory animals
- Knowledge: Generation of genetically modified mouse models, Molecular biology techniques (PCR, molecular cloning, etc.) & Cell culture.
- Skills: Small animal handling. A valid certificate to work with animals (rodents) is required.
- Ability to communicate well in English.
- Experience: Zygote and embryo manipulation, including pro-nuclear injection, blastocyst injection and zygote electroporation. Mouse microsurgery including embryo transfers and mouse vasectomy, routine colony maintenance, DNA cloning, Genotyping by PCR, Embyonic stem cell culturr, Mouse embryonic fibroblast production and culture.
- Knowledge: Traditional and cutting edge methods for gene editing.
- DNA manipulation software.
- Working with databases.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of an established research Core Facility.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 06/06/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Applications for the above opening should include a Full CV and Motivation Letter.
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: email@example.com You will receive a response within a month.'