Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a Lab technician to join the newly established Quantitative Stem Cell Dynamics laboratory. This is a newly established lab focused on developing cutting edge biotechnology to study stem cells in regeneration, aging and cancer.
This position involves maintenance of the mouse colony, performing basic lab ordering and maintenance of lab stocks, and cooperating with various other researchers in sample preparation, cell culture and molecular cloning.
As such, the perfect candidate will have a dynamic and flexible personality, capacity to collaborate with multiple other researchers in the group and ability to multitask across various projects and duties.
- Ordering and management of lab supplies and maintenance of lab stocks
- Supervision and maintenance of the mouse colony
- Performing basic procedures on mice (phlebotomy, euthanasia, injections, etc.)
- Preparation, culture and staining of primary cells and ES cells
- Preparation of recombinant DNA libraries and lentiviral production
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Motivation to work in an international environment within a cutting-edge research project
- Knowledge: Cell biology, stem cells, immunology and mouse models.
- Skills: A valid certificate to work with animals (rodents) is required (Spanish A,B,C functions).
- Experience: Molecular biology techniques (PCR, DNA/RNA work), Mouse handling, Animal procedures
- Languages: Capacity to communicate in English is required
- Knowledge: Programming and Scripting, Biostatistical analysis, Data management, Database organization
- Experience: Molecular cloning, High-throughput sequencing, Flow cytometry, Lab management software
- Skills: Data analysis, Presentation of posters and slides, Social media and Web tools
- Languages: Full fluency in English would be optimal
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member of the Quantitative Stem Cell Dynamics Lab.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 24/05/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: email@example.com'