Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 30 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking a Postdoctoral researcher to work at the Colorectal Cancer Laboratory directed by Dr. Eduard Batlle in a joint project with the Advanced Digital Microscopy Facility lead by Dr. Julien Colombelli, as part of the international consortium MACH3CANCER (mach3cancer.org), funded by CRUK and AECC, reference GEACC19006BAT from the Accelerator Awards of the ‘Fundación de la Asociación Española contra el Cancer (FAECC)’.
The project aims to develop and apply high-throughput 3D live imaging technology that will contribute to the understanding of how cancer cells behave in complex 3D structures and will enable robust interrogation of responses to cancer therapy with single cell resolution. Screens will include longitudinal live cell imaging assays and use sophisticated phenotypic endpoints - with the potential to link to and inform subsequent single cell genomic and proteomic analysis. New, modular, open source, high content analysis (HCA) instrumentation and software tools will be developed to address the imaging challenges associated with 3D cell cultures and organoids. This will lead to enhanced understanding of the mechanisms of drug resistance and more effective high content screens for new therapies.
- Conduct independent research in the area of advanced microscopy applied to research with organoids, including novel spinning-disk and lightsheet-based high-throughput instruments.
- Standardize advanced microscopy workflows for organoids screening across four European facilities.
- Develop and/or use complex bioimage analysis assays for single cell analysis in high-content live large 3D image datasets (>100TB).
- Manuscript and grant writing.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- Doctoral degree. Experience in a competitive research environment is a must.
- Experience in 3D organoid models.
- Knowledgeable in Advanced Microscopy techniques.
- Past experience in competitive laboratories abroad will be also valued.
- English (fluent).
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Deadline for applications: 20/02/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: email@example.com You will receive a response within a month.'