Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence—a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 30 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the “Xarxa de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya” (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona is seeking an ambitious Postdoctoral Scientist who wants to develop and apply cutting-edge technology for biomedical research in the growing field of targeted protein degradation. Our Targeted Protein Degradation & Drug Discovery lab pursues highly multidisciplinary and collaborative research at the interface of molecular biology, functional genetics, medicinal chemistry and bioinformatics. The postdoctoral candidate should have a proactive mindset, be able to work in a molecular biology lab and be willing to collaborate with chemists. Skills in cell-based assays, genome biology and sequencing data analysis are a plus.
- Conduct independent research in chemical biology/targeted protein degradation/cancer.
- Supervise PhD students and technicians.
- Manuscript and grant writing.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
Must Have – Required:
- PhD in molecular biology/bioscience/chemical biology or similar.
- Cancer research and/or chemical biology background.
- Experience in data analysis in at least one field of systems biology research (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics, high-content imaging, …).
- Required are scientific quality and a collaborative and interdisciplinary mindset.
- Experience in a competitive research environment.
- Molecular biology, functional genomics, chemical biology, CRISPR/Cas9.
- Cancer research Immunology background is a plus.
- Ability to work in a team and pursue goals in a focused way.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills in English.
- Drug and genetic screens.
- Biochemistry/structural biology.
- Bioinformatics experience is an advantage (experience with setup of pipelines/workflows, experience in big data and machine learning techniques).
- Immunology, targeted protein degradation, PROTACs/molecular glues, chemistry background is a plus.
- Data visualization skills
- Solid understanding of basic statistics
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- Training and Career: Postdoctoral researchers joining IRB Barcelona gain access to the Institute’s advanced research training and career development opportunities, all within in a competitive international environment. Courses and workshops on themes of particular interest to postdocs are offered regularly by the Institute.
- International environment: Nearly 90 Postdoctoral researchers (more than a half non-Spanish nationals) are currently working at IRB Barcelona.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
Applications for the above opening should include a motivation letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate for this position, curriculum vitae and contact details of 2-3 referees
- Deadline for applications: 18/12/2020 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
'If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address: email@example.com You will receive a response within a month.'